Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Michael Crabtree is hurt and lost for the season

This injury is pretty rough. In the modern NFL you can't have the depth we did back in the Eddie D days. There is much you can do about an injury to a key guy.

We have only two proven WRs on the roster - Anquan Boldin (who turns 33 next season) and Mario Manningham coming off injury. Kyle Williams has never struck me as starting caliber.

While I like Quinton Paxton, a 4th round pick from LA Tech is no lock. I know Ricardo Lockette is getting good press clippings, but you can't assume a guy with two career catches (both in 2011) and who was cut by the Seahawks is going to be anything. I am sure this will thrill everyone, but I have to imagine that AJ Jenkins gets the first crack.

They'll lean on Vernon more, hopefully the 2nd round pick TE Vance McDonald can help some. I bet Chad Hall sees more time in the slot for whatever that is worth.

They will probably sniff around some free agents, but Harbaugh's MO has usually been to stay in house.

Not that there is much out there. Brandon Lloyd is the only proven starter. Saints deep threat Devery Henderson is out there (as is Darrius Heyward-Bey!!) You could take fliers on the likes of Ramses Barden, Early Doucet, or Captain Concussion Austin Collie (who I hope retires for his sake).

I believe the RFA window for Victor Cruz has passed - they probably wouldn't have paid the price to get him anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home